mining a collection

by - Friday, June 23, 2017

After previously exploring identity through means of emotion using video, photography, and sound in the first semester, for the second I wanted to look into the way in which place linked with identity.

Through sound workshops, I researched more into the idea of place, and how artists used sound to create a visual. In all honesty, I got bored halfway through the project and very uninterested in what I had created, so wanted to start a fresh.

By experimenting with recording and editing various sounds, I was inspired by an Australian sonic sound sculptor named ‘Jodi Rose'. Her piece entitled ‘Singing Bridges’ captures the sound of bridges that were famililar to her, as she passed them daily. This inspired me to start recording sounds that were familiar to me, which I encountered on a daily basis. 

From earlier on in the semester, I experimented with fluid art, which I talk about in a previous blog post! > http://naturalcapturer.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Art%20%26%20Design?max-results=6
And the video linked at the end of this article is my final sound and video piece from the workshop. I tried to stay away from creating video this semester, but clearly couldn't help myself.

However, as many of my projects have become focused on creating video, I wanted to challenge myself to form an installation, which would be shown at the 'mining a collection' exhibition, at Lady Maybeck in Mabgate, Leeds. 






My aim for the installation was to create an interactive piece, which would immerse the viewer into forming sounds which were not actually present. Tania Kovats, a British artist, created a series entitled ‘Sea-Mark’. When curating the exhibition, the abstract composition was enhanced to subtly, yet effectively, make the audience feel the constant motion of the waves. 


I decided to work backwards from the fluid fantasy video (http://naturalcapturer.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/fluid-fancy.html) that I created, to produce an abstract installation.

The first step I took to forming the installation was buying an A4 sketchbook, and filling it with small illustrations. The illustrations were based on the fluid fantasy video, as I listened to the sound and drew what came to my mind. I used the colour schemes from each section of the video to make the connection slightly more noticable.







The illustrations formed from watching and listening to the video were heavily focused on sound waves, and after doing a survey of how individuals reacted to my video, I thought creating a constant motion of a heartbeat would elevate any illustration I created. Everyone reacted differently to the piece, some stating it made them feel late for a train, and others feeling as though it represented the elements.
So to intensify the heartbeat, and to create a sound which was not present, I purchased graph paper to simulate a sinus rhythm on an ECG monitor in a hospital.


As the piece was based around place, I found a magazine based on Iceland, which looked slightly similar to the work of Tania Kovats. I used the dark horizon line in the middle of the photograph to create a soundwave, and tbh I just thought it looked cool and wanted to put it on my piece.





As the piece was based around place, I found a magazine based on Iceland, which looked slightly similar to the work of Tania Kovats. I used the dark horizon line in the middle of the photograph to create a soundwave, and tbh I just thought it looked cool and wanted to put it on my piece.


The final part of my piece was the large soundwaves at the top, which were very frighteneing to commit too, because I didn't want to ruin the piece entirley. But I chose my favourite illustration from the book and decided to enlarge one feature. I am happy with how it turned out, but I do think some of the lines are a bit too thick, perhaps this contrast is a good thing? Who knows.


Overall I am pleased with the installation I created, but christ am I glad to see the back of it. Having to carry an A1 piece of wood around leeds wasn't the smartest idea i've ever had. That's why I roped my boyfriend in to do it for me.
But, thats a wrap on first year! Over and out,

until next time,
Ciao!





You May Also Like

0 comments